Monday, August 25, 2008

Delhi...Family, Mexican Food and a Fender Bender


This past weekend we headed up to Delhi to see my family. My Mom's brother and sister live their with their families. Honestly, it felt like home...well, except for the fact that it was SO HOT!!! Like...two showers a day HOT! BUT, it was so worth it since the kids got to meet their GREAT grandmother (Nani-Ma)!!
So, we left our home a solid three hours before we had to get on the plane. Long story short, after a two and a half hour car ride (which included the bonus of Veda throwing up on herself ), we got to the airport at 8:00 pm - our flight was scheduled to leave at 8:30 pm. NO PROBLEM! We even had some Indian "fast food" before the flight.

We really didn't know what to expect, but I think we were pleasantly surprised by how "smooth" everything went. Even the kids did well with a little help!
We were greeted by everyone with open arms and the kids were actually pretty receptive too(which I have to say I was a little surprised). My uncle showed Rohin and Veda a picture from my cousin Monu's wedding that Martin and I attended in 2002. They recognized my parents and that broke the ice right away. My Grandma pulled out some more pictures of my parents and Rohin and Veda instantly became friends with her. It was amazing to watch!!! I can't tell you how great it was for me to see them with her. She is an amazing woman!


On Saturday we joined my cousin Monu and her family. She has two boys who are five and a half and one and a half. It was HILARIOUS watching those four!!! Let's just say my Uncle's house didn't look the same after those four were done!



We actually left my Uncle's house and went to Monu's house on Saturday. Along the way we did a little sight seeing around Delhi. I won't bore you with all the details, but I wanted to share one place called the Lotus Temple. The temple itself was gorgeous. And the garden was immaculate! The temple is based on the Baha'i religion. The message is that humanity is one single race and that the day has come for its unification in one global society. Basically, the Baha'i religion recognizes all religions under one God...really an amazing temple both inside and out. To experience the silence and peace in the temple was truly moving. Even Rohin and Veda were quiet...okay, for like 20 seconds, but whatever.


After that we decided to go out to eat and get some Mexican food at RODEO's...seriously, what the heck were we thinking - Kids, Saturday night and Mexican food in India? Four kids and four adults...man to man defense we should be fine, right? We got there and we got the kids drinks at the bar.


Then we were seated. Oh yeah, Monu's husband asked people who were in the middle of their meal to move their table to another table, so we could push two tables together - so they did. You gotta love India! Then the fun began...we put the kids at one end and the adults at the other. Short version of dinner...two dudes sitting next two us started drinking more when we sat next to them, Rohin and his cousin played tug of war with the place mats,

chips and salsa demolished by kids in 1 minute,

Veda invented orange juice nachos,

Veda must stand while eating,

apparently standing on our table during our dinner with bare feet to hook up the TV is not a big deal (yes Shalu, Ruby, Roopal and Rakhi I did almost throw up).

Rohin made friends with the two dudes,

The End.
The next day we also visited my Aunt (my Mom's sister) and her family who lived near Monu.

And then returned with my Uncle to his home. Oh and we got into an accident. We are all okay and it wasn't my Uncle's fault at all. Now you guys are going to love this. My Uncle gets out of the car and starts yelling at the other guy. The guy yells something back. Then my Aunt gets out and yells and then she returns to the car. My Uncle tells the guy to pay him some money. The other guy says something and gets in his car and drives off. My Uncle gets in the car and starts driving and after 5 minutes of silence it is all over and we are cracking jokes with a huge rattle from the fender being cracked and bent. My Uncle got his car hit, but he is still smiling...that is India! I was amazed! Can you even imagine!?? The picture doesn't do it justice!

To sum it all up, we had a wonderful trip and I have to say that we are very lucky to have such a great family in our lives.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love the OJ Nachos...I'm going to try to make those for JD. We miss you guys and your sense of humor, but love getting it via blog. Hope all is well - looking forward to more reading :)

Vic said...

Hi Char!